- Project Permitting and Environmental Review. Advises clients on matters involving construction contracts, State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) compliance, purchase and sale negotiations, easements, permitting, and code compliance. Successfully appealed adverse property tax exemption from state and local tax agencies for anaerobic digester facility.
- Cleanup. Represents clients on environmental liability and remediation issues, including cost recovery and resolution of liability through consent decrees and agreed orders, and private agreements among responsible parties.
- Water Quality Permitting and Litigation. Represents clients in matters arising under the Clean Water Act and Washington Water Pollution Control Act, including citizen lawsuits and appeals of Department of Ecology enforcement actions. Negotiates stormwater management and discharge authorization conditions under county and municipal regulations.
- Air Quality Permitting and Litigation. Represents clients in matters involving air quality, including administrative enforcement and project permitting. Represents clients in appeals before the Pollution Control Hearings Board.
- Dangerous Waste. Advises clients on compliance with dangerous waste regulations including waste management, reporting, and waste characterization. Negotiates enforcement agreements with Department of Ecology concerning waste management regulations. Represents individuals and businesses in appeals before the Pollution Control Hearings Board.
- Property Rights. Represents clients in matters involving nuisance, trespass, quiet title, adverse possession, condemnation, and property damage. Obtained summary judgment in Kitsap County Superior Court in quiet title action involving easement.
Professional Honors & Activities
Listed in Washington Super Lawyers as a “Rising Star” 2016, 2010-2012; Faculty, Managing Stormwater in the Northwest conference, Tacoma (2015, 2013, 2012).
Presentations & Articles
Speaker, Strategies for Reducing Environmental Risks and Costs, NW Marina & Boatyard Conference (November 2015)
Speaker, Recent Trends in Enforcement of the Washington Industrial Stormwater General Permit, ECOSS Advanced Stormwater Case Studies Workshop, Tacoma (October 2015)
Speaker, Stormwater Liability and Risk Management, Northwest Environmental Business Council conference, Tacoma (March 2015)
Speaker, Industrial Stormwater Challenges, Northwest Environmental Conference & Tradeshow (December 2014)
Speaker, Boatyard General Stormwater Permit, NW Marina & Boatyard Conference (November 2014)
Speaker, Proposed Revisions to the Industrial Stormwater General Permit, Northwest Environmental Business Council (NEBC) Olympic Chapter Luncheon (September 2014)
Speaker, Recent Trends in Enforcement of the Washington Industrial Stormwater General Permit, ECOSS Advanced Stormwater Case Studies Workshop, Tacoma (March 2014)
Author, Washington State’s Property Tax Exemption for Anaerobic Digesters and Alternative Fuels (2014)
Speaker, Washington State’s Industrial Stormwater General Permit; Managing Compliance Liability, Washington Public Ports Association – Environmental Seminar (September 2013)
Speaker, Washington State’s Industrial Stormwater General Permit – Avoiding and Mitigating the Costs of Enforcement Action, Environmental Coalition of South Seattle (2013)
Speaker, Managing Stormwater in the Northwest, Northwest Environmental Business Council conference, Tacoma (March 2013)
Co-author, “Water Quality Risk Policy for Human Health” (2013)
Speaker, Managing Stormwater in the Northwest, Northwest Environmental Business Council conference, Tacoma (2012)
J.D., magna cum laude, Seattle University School of Law, 2006; Associate Editor, Law Review; Presidential Scholar.
B.A., University of Washington, Henry M. Jackson School of International Studies, 1997.
Washington State Bar Association
Supreme Court of the State of Washington
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
Brad lives in the Ballard neighborhood of Seattle with his wife and three boys. When not coaching a youth soccer team, Brad is an avid cyclist, board rider, and soccer player.