- Water Rights Litigation. Represented court-appointed receiver in adjunct quiet title proceeding to resolve competing claims to water rights. Represented property owner water right applicant in appeal involving mitigated water right. Represented private property owners and municipal water supplier in water right transfer appeals before the Washington State Supreme Court.
- Industrial Stormwater General Permit and Construction Stormwater General Permit Appeals. Represented industry clients in Clean Water Act NPDES permit appeals before the Pollution Control Hearings Board, Superior Court and Washington State Supreme Court.
- Commercial Litigation. Represented forest products company in a four-month jury trial in Federal District Court in Juneau, Alaska, involving claims for breach of contract, fraud and misrepresentation. Represented paper products company in complex software development and licensing dispute in Federal District Court in San Diego, California.
- Cornelius v. Department of Ecology, 344 P.3d 199 (2015). Represented Washington State University in successful defense of water right changes enabling consolidation of wellfield operations on WSU’s Pullman campus.
- Skamania County v. Columbia River Gorge Commission, 144 Wn.2d 30, 26 P.3d 241 (2001). Appellate counsel for Skamania County in successful defense of county land use decision involving interpretation of the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Act.
- R.D. Merrill Co. v. Pollution Control Hearings Board, 137 Wn.2d 118, 969 P.2d 458 (1999). Represented property owner in defense of water right changes enabling development of Wilson Ranch/Freestone Inn & Cabins in Mazama, Washington.
- Perkins v. CTX Mortgage Co., 137 Wn.2d 93, 969 P.2d 93 (1999). Submitted amicus brief on behalf of mortgage lenders association in support of successful defense against class action plaintiffs.
- Kottler v. State, 136 Wn.2d 437, 963 P.2d 834 (1998). Appellate counsel for forest products company in successful defense involving liability for joint tortfeasors.
- Brinson v. Linda Rose Joint Venture, 53 F.3d 1044 (9th Cir. 1995); Fuller v. Golden Age Fisheries, 14 F.3d 1275 (9th Circ. 1994), cert denied, 512 U.S. 1206 (1994). Represented fisheries company in successful defense against breach of contract wage claims.
- Friends of Snoqualmie Valley v. King County Boundary Review Bd., 118 Wn.2d 488, 825 P.2d 300 (1992). Represented developer in appeal of boundary review board decision approving City of Snoqualmie annexation.
Member, Washington State Bar Association, Environmental and Land Use Law and Litigation Sections; Member, WSBA Amicus Brief Committee (2000-2001); Member, King County Bar Association; Environmental and Land Use and Appellate Law Sections, Volunteer, King County Bar Association Neighborhood Legal Clinic (1988-1995).
Hillis Clark Martin & Peterson, P.S., Seattle, Washington (Of Counsel, 1999-2000; Principal, 1997-1998; Associate, 1988-1996).
J.D., Cornell University, cum laude, 1988; Executive Editor, Moot Court Board.
B.A., Whitman College, 1983.
United States Supreme Court
Washington State Bar Association
Supreme Court of the State of Washington
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
Board of Directors, New Beginnings, www.newbegin.org, (Board Member 2001-2007, Board President 2004). Vice President, Executive Board, Laurelhurst Elementary School PTA (2002-2005). Parent Volunteer, Roosevelt High School (2009-present).